Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Cooking Through the Cookbook Challenge - Cheesy Potato Casserole

In my post on Sunday, we discussed how I bailed on my DIY recipe binder and copied over the few surviving all-star recipes into my prized cookbook.  Well, after looking through it, I fell in love with it all over again.  Now, the challenge is ON to cook as many recipes as possible from it!  Back when I got it, I was newly engaged and my cooking repertoire was limited to Ellio's pizza with added american cheese slices (I'm serious!).  Aside from my FAVORITE desserts and dishes, I haven't tried as many of the gems from there as I should have.

The other night, I needed a side dish (it was omelet night - if your house doesn't have omelet night, I suggest that you get on that!).  I pulled out my trusty cookbook and made a recipe that my elementary school nurse contributed to it (how cool is that?!).  One of her family's favorite side dishes - this was easy to make and PURE comfort food all the way!

Cheesy Potato Casserole

I'm no food photographer, so I'll explain to you how it looked when it came out of the oven... It was bubbly, cheesy and smelled like heaven!


I only had two huge potatoes, so I made half the recipe (it turned out great), but I'll give you the full recipe!

Ingredients
  • Boil 6-8 medium potatoes until tender (peel them before boiling)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (I used light)
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine (I used margarine)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup (I used concentrated low sodium and added a little bit of water)
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Mash potatoes with fork or use potato masher.  Heat butter, soup, onion and cheese in saucepan until everything is melted.  Stir in potatoes.  Fold in sour cream.  Pour into casserole sprayed with cooking spray.  Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.  Bake at 350 for at least 45 minutes (until bread crumbs are crunchy).
  • Can be made earlier - refrigerated and then baked.