Easy, Healthy Banana Muffin Recipe
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I actually did 1 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup mashed banana (you could also use blueberries or strawberries)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional - but, I happened to have walnuts, so I added them). You could also swap in chocolate chips or dried fruit.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl, make a well in the center.
- Mix milk, egg, oil, banana and walnuts in a small bowl. Pour mixture into well.
- Mix batter just until moistened. Don't overmix.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin.
- Bake about 13-15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- If you don't have a sifter, you can use a colander, depending on the size of the holes.
- To make a well in the center of your dry ingredients, use a large spoon to push the flour, sugar, etc. to the sides of the mixture, making a pit in the middle of the bowl. It doesn't need to be perfect!
- I like to use an ice cream scooper to spoon my batter into the tins.
- Eat the muffins within a few days, since fresh banana doesn't hold up well in baked goods for too long. These muffins are so tasty (delicious with butter for breakfast), this shouldn't be a problem.