Monday, January 28, 2013

Double Chocolate Italian Cookies, Rolled in Sugar

As I continue to cook and bake my way through my favorite cookbook, I am uncovering some tasty gems.  My pants may be getting tighter (the things I do for my readers), but I have quite the cookie recipe for you!  Delicious, very unique, and stays fresh-tasting for a long time.  They actually taste better as the days go on!  A caveat - this recipe gets MESSY (like sugar all over your floor messy), but the end result is so unique, it's worth it.  Plus, it's a great recipe to make with the kids... Your little helpers will have a blast.


Double Chocolate Italian Cookies, Rolled in Sugar

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 2 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 4 1/2 cups flour (I did 3 cups of regular flour, and the rest as whole wheat flour)
  • 1 12 oz package chocolate chips
  • 1 saucer filled with sugar (for rolling your cookies)
Directions:
  • Preheat to 350 degrees
  • Starting with top ingredient, mix all ingredients together in a large bowl 
  • Once everything is mixed, roll the dough into balls.  
  • Then, roll each bowl in the sugar in the saucer.  
  • Place on ungreased cookie sheets.  
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  
  • Remove from oven - cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Makes about 60 cookies.  

Tips:
Since there are no eggs or butter in this recipe, the cookies don't spread, so you can put them relatively close together on the baking sheet.
After 10 minutes, they're ready.  Their consistency will be like cake.  Delicious!