Wednesday, January 16, 2013

One Woman's Fight Against Grime - Oven Edition

We have an older white gas oven, with gray grates and those other things!  You know, the round pieces that go over the burners, but under the grates?  I am embarrassed to say that I don't know what they're called.  As you can tell from this blog, I like to cook, and within a week or two, the amount of food and grime that can attach itself to my stove top is appalling.  Over the years, I've been on a quest to find an efficient way to clean the burners and the grates.  I've tried putting the round pieces and the grates in the dishwasher multiple times and have also used various cleaners.  None of it made a difference worth writing home about (or blogging about)!  After researching, I decided to try something new....

 Exhibit A in my fight against grime!  
Step 1: This is what these bad boys look like after a trip through the dishwasher.  Not impressive!
Step 2:  An extra long bath in warm water, mixed with dish soap. 

Step 3:  After their luxurious soak, I scrubbed them with a sponge.  Despite the spa treatment, they're still not looking good!
Step 4:  I brought out my secret weapon*, and they finally look presentable!

*And the secret weapon was.......  aluminum foil wadded up into a ball!!  Yes, it's true!  I created several aluminum foil balls and went to work scouring each piece. At my rate, I shouldn't have to do it again for, I don't know, another month or so :)  

Disclaimer:  TEST the aluminum foil on a small area first to make sure that it doesn't create scuffs.  Aluminum foil is NOT for use on a stainless steel oven. 

I followed the same process with one of my grates.  It was seriously hard labor!! Even though using the aluminum foil balls gave me the best results I've seen (and helped me work through any aggression), I wasn't left convinced that it was worth the work for the other three grates!  The jury is still out. 

Before......
After......


If you have any cleaning tips for your stove top, PLEASE let me know!!!!!  I will be forever grateful!!!