Monday, March 25, 2013

Announcing... Abbie's Book Club Corner!!

City of Motherly Love'rs, I am proud and excited to announce a NEW ongoing series of posts on our site....

First, it is my honor to introduce the star of Abbie's Book Club Corner - my mom, Abbie!  As you can tell from some of my previous posts, I love to read, and I got that love of reading from my mom.  An amazing writer and voracious reader, my mom is the most well-read person I know.

She has an uncanny knack for discovering unique books that range from fiction to memoir, from funny to impactful, and back again.  After benefiting from years of my mom's unbelievable finds, I'm very happy to begin sharing them with you! 

So, if you're looking for a break from your norm, take a trip to Abbie's Book Club Corner!!

Our inaugural book club corner find is......


 
Going Overboard: The Misadventures of a Military Wife
By Sarah Smiley

Some of the books that I've enjoyed reading the most have been memoirs.  I really like seeing how other people deal with everyday experiences in their lives and some that are not so everyday.  Every once in a while, I will find a memoir that reads almost like a book of fiction.  "Going Overboard" by Sarah Smiley is just that kind of a book.  It's the true-life adventures of a wife and mom whose husband is in the military.   She has to do what all of us do every day as wives and mothers, but in her case, while her husband is either on a months-long deployment or getting ready to be deployed.  She tells the story so well and with such humor and poignancy.  She often had me laughing out loud at many of the things that happened to her and her family while she was managing on her own.  Who knows, after reading this book, when your own husband calls to tell you he will be twenty minutes late coming home from work, you might not get quite as annoyed after reading what she has to do all by herself for months at a time.  Or maybe you'll still get just as mad and that's okay!!