Supersized Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 6 eggs, separated (save both yolks and whites)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 18 oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 16 oz carton of heavy whipping cream (you'll have leftover whipped cream, but I'm sure you can find a use for it!)
- A few tablespoons of powdered sugar
- Put a small amount of flour in a 10 inch pie plate to lightly coat it.
- Put pie crust in pie plate. Streeeetch the pie crust to cover the plate as best you can. Prick sides and bottom of crust with fork. Follow directions on crust package, but don't bake more than 9 minutes.
- When crust is cool, begin to make the filling. With a hand mixer, whip yolks and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the vanilla by hand.
- Melt chocolate chips in a saucepan over medium heat, then add that by hand to yolks/sugar mixture.
- Beat egg whites until stiff (with hand mixer), then add that to other mixture (and mix with hand mixer). Pour into cooked pie crust. Cool on table.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Beat cream into whipped cream with mixer (add 1 - 2 tsp vanilla extract and several tablespoons of powdered sugar). Spread on top of pie. If desired, add chocolate shavings to the top. This year, I used the grating attachment on my food /processor and dumped in the chocolate chips. It turned out great!