Make your own Chocolate English Toffee
(Adapted from a Six Sisters Stuff recipe)
- 48 salted saltine crackers
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional - I didn't use any, but you could use peanuts or any kind)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a large jelly roll pan (mine was 15x10") with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. You could probably use a large cookie sheet, too!
- Lay the saltine crackers evenly on the pan (I put mine really close together so that they were touching).
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Bring it to a boil and let it boil for three minutes without stirring. After three minutes, pour the hot brown sugar mixture evenly over the saltine crackers.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips across the toffee. Let them melt for a couple of minutes and then use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate evenly across the toffee (like frosting).
- Sprinkle chopped nuts on top of the melted chocolate (if desired).
- Let the toffee and chocolate cool completely (I put mine in the fridge to help it set up quickly). Break the toffee into bite-size pieces. This stuff is thick and DELICIOUS, so you might want to take a meat tenderizer, cover it with aluminum foil, and whack the toffee to break it into pieces.
- To store, keep in an air-tight container for 1-2 weeks or in the freezer for a couple of months.
|Line up your crackers|
|Heat up the brown sugar and butter|
|Boil for three minutes without stirring|
|Pour sugar / butter mixture over crackers and spread evenly. Then, bake for 5-7 minutes|
|Sprinkle chocolate chips all over and let melt for a few minutes. Then, spread chocolate with a spatula. It looks like the chocolate chips aren't enough at first, but once they melt, they are!|
|After it cools for an hour in the fridge, break it up into pieces and ENJOY!|