Tuesday, December 25, 2012

You CAN Do This - Easy, Quick Fleece Winter Hat with Ear Flaps

The days leading up to the holidays are always packed, with everyone rushing around to get things done!  But, what about when everything's come and gone and your hands are still looking for something to do?

Here's the EASIEST, cutest project ever - A quick fleece winter hat with ear flaps, for kids or adults.  You can sew this ALL by hand if you are allergic to your sewing machine like I am, and it takes 1 - 2 hours maximum.

Confession time:  This project was actually my first completed sewing project that followed a pattern!  I haven't had much luck with patterns in the past, but this one restored my confidence!  And, it's sturdy.  I made it for my son about 6 weeks ago, and it's still good as new.  Plus, it gets tons of compliments.  It feels really good when son proudly says, "My mommy made it!"


Are you ready to get started? 

Okay, let's go!  I used the leftover fleece fabric from my DIY scarf project, which was more than sufficient to make a hat.  All you need to do is print and cut the pattern, cut your fabric (any scissors are fine, but fabric scissors make it so much easier!), and sew, sew, sew!!!  I did a basic backstitch to make it nice and secure.  I chose the plain model, but you can also add eyes or a pom-pom.  Oh, and I printed out the pattern at 100%, to make sure it would fit my elementary schooler (but it also fits me, too!).


It's pretty cool that with a little bit of needle and thread, the fleece can go from this, to this -


Check out Tracy's Treasury for the easy pattern!  Let me know how it turns out!