Dirty Money Coin Activity - Good for President's Day or Any Day!
- 10 - 15 coins from your wallet
- A plastic container
- Baking Soda
- Vinegar (any kind)
- Fill the tupperware container with water
- Put in the coins
- Add in a few shakes of baking soda
- Pour in a few teaspoons of vinegar
- An old toothbrush (if you have one!)
- Go to work!
- Observe the fizzing reaction when the vinegar meets the baking soda (kids love it!)
- Sort the coins by oldest to newest, or type, or dirtiest to cleanest.
- Discuss how many people may have handled the coins, and what was going on in the year they were made. My son loved seeing pennies older than I am!
- Talk about the various presidents on the coins.
I'm not sure if our coins were substantially cleaner when we were done, but it was a really fun exercise. We didn't use any specific measurements - mainly a bit of this and a bit of that for the vinegar and the baking soda, but it all worked out!